Monday, August 27, 2012

Fabric Covered Switchplate

I will apologize in advance because I do not have any up close pictures of the switch plates I made. This girl made them look super cute huh? Tutorial here
Well, I didn't have an x-acto knife (or however you spell it), so I improvised and used some old fashioned scissors. Bad idea. I highly recommend using a razor or something that provides a little more accuracy.

I will say, the tutorial on how to make these is spot on. If you follow the instructions, you'll get something that looks relatively close to the picture. I only had a few complaints about the project in general:

1. the outside edges are a little difficult to secure around the back without the raw edges being completely visible.

2. is fabric over a light switch plate really practical? I didn't really think about this until after the fact, but we use our hands (our nasty, disgusting hands) to turn lights on and off, and in the process, our grungy skin inevitably grazes the cover. Fabric (especially those of lighter colors) will quickly reveal this phenomenon.

I fabric covered the light switch plates in Lilyanna's nursery, and for now, they look super cute, but once she gets old enough to turn the lights on and off by herself, I can only imagine the filth that will accumulate on them. I would be interested to see if covering with scrapbook paper, or maybe a few extra coats of modge podge, would provide a more user-friendly outcome?

Oh, and then I came across this little gem. If you're going to cover your light switch plate, please do NOT do what this person did.


No comments:

Post a Comment