Monday, October 1, 2012

Hocus Pocus, or "Resurrection" Rolls

I had been seeing this pin float around Pinterest, but I resisted pinning it for quite a while. Lord knows why, because I love bread. Anyway, once I did pin it, I couldn't get it out of my mind. I had a certain idea of how these rolls would taste, and I just had to cook them.
Recipe
I've seen these rolls called two things: "hocus pocus" rolls because a marshmallow supposedly disappears inside of them, or "Resurrection" rolls because you can tell the story of Jesus's resurrection as you prepare the rolls with your children. The story is detailed in the blog I linked to the above picture, but off the top of my head I remember the dough representing the Jesus's tomb, and Jesus is represented by the marshmallow. When you break the bread open after it's cooked, you'll notice there is no marshmallow anymore. Just like Jesus wasn't in the tomb after three days. Love the idea of the story, but there was no way I was waiting until Easter to make these rolls. My baby is only eight months old, so she sat in her high chair while I explained the story of Jesus to her...because I felt bad about making something related to a Bible story and not including it!

Well, mine didn't turn out quite like the above. And I COULD see the marshmallow after I baked it, because it leaked out everywhere, even though I was careful to pinch the dough together. Also, I learned that I don't really like cinnamon. My fingers were coated with the melted butter/cinnamon mixture while I was preparing the rolls, and it smelled like I had dug around in a piggy bank. My husband wouldn't try a roll, and I was disappointed with mine. Not like I had imagined at all.
My Version
Are you disappointed because you had the ingredients and wanted to try it? Here are the croissants I blogged about a while back:

Here's a better recipe with similar ingredients!
Verdict: Pintastrophe
-Betsy

1 comment:

  1. My family makes these every year for Easter! I would tell you what my siblings call them, but it's almost sac religious so it will remain our little inside joke...
    With us, about 2/3 come out great and the others reveal marshmallow, but all taste great (some siblings skip the cinnamon and just coat with sugar while others add chocolate chips). It helps if you use a muffin tin and DOnT wrap them like croissants! Try to make a vessel by pinching the sides and corners together... I wish I could explain this better.

    ReplyDelete