Monday, October 1, 2012

Chicken 'N Dumplings

As a true Southern gentleman, my husband loves chicken and dumplings. As a true Southern belle, I should know how to cook it, right? Well, I've always been too scared. I remember my grandmother rolling out dough for hers, and that alone intimidated me enough to not try it. My other grandma makes her dumplings by cutting out tortilla strips, soaking them in water, and covering them in flour. My sister has started making her chicken and dumplings this way, and although I couldn't taste the difference, my husband wouldn't let me try it that way because he wanted it ROLLED OUT like his MAMA did it! I called his mama close to his birthday to get her recipe, because he requested it for his birthday dinner, but she advised against making chicken and dumplings because I would be cooking for a crowd and she said that it didn't always turn out right. This further intimated me. So I made something else and took him to Cracker Barrel later on to get his chicken and dumplings fix.

I pinned this recipe immediately when I saw it, because the description promised a chicken and dumpling recipe done in the crock pot, and my goodness, does it look delicious. One cold February morning when my whole family was home, I decided to attempt these crockpot chicken and dumplings for our lunch.
Recipe
I clicked on the picture to look at the recipe. And guess what, IT'S NOT A CROCKPOT RECIPE. I don't know who originally put that description, but I've seen a million of my friends pin this recipe since then, and it ALWAYS has in the description that it's a crockpot recipe. I used to comment on everybody's pin and correct them, but I got tired of doing it, so I decided they could learn the hard way like I did.

And I forgive whoever posted that description in the first place. Why? Because this recipe is friggin' delicious. So much so that my husband now brags about my chicken and dumpling cooking abilities, and I feel like a rock star because I can make this shizz from scratch, JUST LIKE MY MAW MAW. :) The recipe I linked is accompanied by a wonderful picture tutorial, and it managed to ease the anxiety and stress I felt over making dumlings before I even attempted them. If you like Cracker Barrel's chicken and dumplings, make this recipe. NOW!

To Note:
-I would say that J's mom is wrong and they do turn out the same if you make them following this recipe.  I've made them several times since I first tried it and they always have turned out well.
-My sister insists her way with the tortilla strips is easier, and although it tastes the same, I don't think it's any less work. Both recipes use a lot of flour and make a huge mess.
My Version, served over rice.
Not as juicy looking as the original picture, but damn delicious!
Verdict: Pintastic x100!!!
-Betsy

No comments:

Post a Comment